Friday, September 30, 2011


Mother Nature ushers in the changes that comes with the crisp autumn breeze. The leaves are just beginning to change from the shades of summer leaves and grasses to the brilliance of reds, yellows, and oranges. This tree's journey shifts from the warmth and growth of summer into the transitional phase of the fall. Transitioning from the green pallettes to the more vibrant colors entices us to awaken and to treasure the change because we know that the beauty is fleeting.

I listened to my sons tonight as we came home after a busy day of school and night of visiting waterfalls, dinner out, and relaxing trip to Barnes and Noble.

"Come on, Buddy. Let's sleep downstairs tonight."

"Ok, let's bring all of the blankets and pillows down. We'll sleep in your (hunting) blind."

"You take this side. I'll be away from the door because you know I'm afraid."

"Good idea. You sleep in the back, and I'll protect you. We need our DS's but don't tell Mom 'cause she'll confiscate them. Hide them under the pillows."
"Good thinking. We need our books too, in case we can't sleep. We can put those on the pillows. What about my nightlight?"

"Yeah, I was just thinking about that. Here's the only place where you can see it. Let's turn the blind."

"So, I was thinking about lightning. If I throw a lightning bolt at you, like this, what are you going to do?"

"Well, I'm going to block it like this, and then I'll bend all of the water at you, and you can't block it because you're too weak and haven't recovered from the the lightning bolt. That takes a lot out of you."

"True. Then I'll have to use hypnosis on you to heal you after the water bending or else you won't be able to fight with me."

And, I listen, aware that they are in a special place of friendship and tweendom. They ooze with excitement that they get to sleep on the floor in the living room, and I feel as though I must relish these moments because they are all too fleeting.

I am grateful to the changing leaves, who reminded me of change. The changes are neither good nor bad. Ask the leaves or the tree how they feel, and I'm sure that there is simply an acceptance of change.

"Yes, my leaves are green. Now, changing into bright leaves. Soon they will fall as I am bare in the winter."

My sons are growing and changing right before my eyes.

Today, I will embrace my sons where they are without lamenting the past as I did the best I could and without worries for tomorrow as I will support them as they grow and change. I choose to be aware of their brilliant beauty in the moment.

Namaste,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment