Thursday, September 8, 2011

Reflections on Flooding

Today was a day deeply affected by water. The heavy rains caused serious flooding, forcing many schools and businesses to close because the water levels made too many roads impassable. This scenario seems to be making headlines all too frequently lately. The news is filled with tragic stories of how hurricanes, tsunamis, heavy rains, record-high droughts, and other natural disasters reek their havoc on towns, regions, and countries.

At times like this, I am encouraged to stop and think about water and Mother Nature from a completely different perspective. Normally, I take for granted that the rain starts and stops, that the gentle breeze is refreshing, and that in my house I am safe from the elements.

Being home for the day, I meditated. I must confess that I did not set my intention to gain any insights, but I was elated when I was given insights into the water.

We humans freely use water without much thought about it. Our water consumption is much faster than Mother Nature can replenish our supply; to meet our needs, we deplete the earth, creating an imbalance. Perhaps to replenish the depleted reserves, a deluge of water is needed. The water tries to move quickly to the deepest aquifers. We witness this as gushing, thunderous water, which is quite powerful in a flooding situation.

Normally, the earth receives the nourishment and replenishment that the rain offers, but when the ground is already saturated with water, it can not absorb any more water from the heavens. The water breaks through all barriers, urgent to replenish the deep wells. Because our houses, roads, store, and lives are in the water's path, we experience flooding. We are afraid--for ourselves and our loved ones, for our material losses, for our inconveniences.

Perhaps because we focus on these fears, we are unaware that Mother Nature nurtures and supports us, even when we overuse her resources. In the greater scheme of life, our inconveniences and material expenses seem minor if we are able to now draw from these deep aquifers of water to sustain our lives. She seeks balance. If we step out of our narrow perspective, we open our hearts to the love and gratitude of Spirit. It is unfortunate that she can only replenish herself with such drastic measures, but who are we to judge? Many of us do not replenish our own energy wells unless we are brought to the brink of despair, and in those moments, we recognize the gift of health and rest.

After our last sailing class my friend J sent me this text: "Did water become your friend or is it still the enemy or possibly something in between?" (I had been terrified of capsizing and drowning.)

Me: "The water has always been my friend. It nourishes, supports, and heals. I also feel its power to destroy. I am deeply connected to and grateful for the water. The water means no harm to me."

No comments:

Post a Comment