Thursday, September 22, 2011

Fawns Grow Into 'Tweens





I opened my front door tonight and stopped because there stood a magnificent deer on a gorgeous colored lawn. (This photo is not digitally touched up, only cropped.) We both stopped and stared at one another, equally surprised.

Rarely at a loss for words, I said, "Hello. Look at you right in my front yard. What are you doing right there?"

Her ears perked a bit, and she stood her ground, moving only her ears and eyes as if to reply, "I am here. Am I safe? What do you want? I am ready to run if I need to." She clearly needed to assess the whole situation.

I asked her to stand still so I could take her picture with my camera. I quickly snatched my camera from the other room.

She stood, posing.

I captured her image on my digital camera, and she nodded slightly and meandered across my front yard toward the woods.

Only then did I notice who followed her.



My heart skipped a beat, or maybe two. These are her 'tweens! The last time I saw her fawns, they still had their spots. What a gift to see them more mature! They were so much less skiddish tonight, and they slowly followed their mama across my front yard as if there was an invisible line marking the trail. I almost didn't recognize them, but as they moved into the sun's rays illuminating the grass, I noticed a little trace of their young prancing. They weren't interested in a photo shoot, but I captured this one following his mama.



It was so appropriate that I would encountered these gentle creatures as I left for our middle school's open house tonight. As parents introduced themselves to me, I was struck that they entrust their 'tweens to me for the school year. Every day I have the opportunity to observe and celebrate their growth, while marveling in how young and playful 'tweens can still be.

Perhaps they won't show it, but 'tweens do watch their parents, follow in the path that their parents have forged, and yet, enjoy their new-found freedom. My students want their parents to be involved in their after school activities, and they do look to see how their parents handle their paths. Tonight, many parents wanted me to know that they love their child and want him/her to be their very best. That connection was very important for them to make.

Of course, nothing is random, as I pulled into my very long driveway, I smiled as this little family had nestled down in our front lawn. The lights spooked them a bit, alerting them to be cautious; they stood and watched, ready to bolt. As I passed them, I sighed as I came home to my own 'tweens.

I was not able to connect with Pete's teachers tonight as I wore the hat of teacher. However, I am reminded that there are so many ways to show him that I love and support him. I am reminded that Pete and Danny are watching how I walk on my path. They are following me, beginning to forge their own paths. I am so grateful for the messages of the deer 'tweens. They were exactly the right visitors at the exact right time.

Namaste,
L

No comments:

Post a Comment