Saturday, September 3, 2011

What a Sail!!

This morning I woke up before my alarm excited; I was going sailing with my friend, J. The last time we sailed was for our last sailing class, which was emotionally difficult for me as I was terrified that we were going to capsize. This morning was like a "re-do"--another chance to sail with my sailing buddy. Yay!

As I went through my usual morning routine, I thought about the sailing, and I set my intention that it was going to be a great sail. I thought back to that last class and realized that our instructors had emphasized how important safety was. I considered this carefully. I wasn't afraid. I knew that the forecast was a gentle breeze, but we really are amateurs, and we were meeting before most people would be around in the marina. I decided to ask for help.

I woke up my husband and said words he's never heard me say in 15 years, "Honey, I'm going sailing with J. Would you come down to the marina with us in case we need help?"

His eyes got really bright as if to say, "My wife is inviting me to go sailing?! Yes!!!"

Generously, he offered to let us sail his Weta (14 ft trimaran). He took J and I out on the Weta and gave us instructions about how to sail that boat. We took turns steering; it was very peaceful and calm. He assigned us each jobs, and he had us practice them. Then he set us out to sail on our own on the lake.

What a peaceful way to start the day! We sailed, chatted, and just relaxed. It was hard to believe that we were sailing. There was no panic, no fear--just two friends sailing.

When Richard joined us in his Weta, we invited Danny to join us in our boat so that Richard and Pete could have some quiet time alone. Richard maneuvered his boat next to ours, and Danny leaped about a foot onto our boat. He was so proud of himself; we were too!

Our peaceful sail continued with a bit more energy from Danny. He also had several suggestions for how to improve our sailing. He stepped into the role of advisor with ease. It was a gift that he was able to sail with us.

On our way to the shore, the wind died down to barely a tiny ripple on the water. Very slowly we made our way to shore. I learned many years ago that when you go sailing, you must learn to work with Mother Nature. The alternative is to resist and to struggle. You accept that you can't have a definite deadline because if the wind dies down, then you move at a slower pace or simply float. You have to learn about the boat and the wind so that you can sail with as much ease as possible. It is a gift to have an experienced sailor in the boat to offer gentle guidance.

I LOVE trimarans!! They offer support, balance, and peacefulness to the recreational sailor.

Perhaps the greatest gift of all is to share a beautiful morning with people I love surrounded by the beauty of Cayuga Lake, which I also love. I'm so grateful to carry another memory from a fantastic summer with me into fall. I wonder what adventures this fall will bring.

Namaste,

L

No comments:

Post a Comment