Sunday, September 11, 2011

Kayaking with Pete

Today, I promised Pete that we could do anything that he wanted. He said that he wanted to go kayaking down at the lake so that we could explore some marshy water, which we have only seen from the road. What a great way to spend a couple of hours! We went out in a tandem kayak and explored. Here he is posing for the picture, careful not to twist too far and tip the boat. We're both partial to upright boats!


 Pete knew exactly where he wanted to go. We went (to quote him) "where no man has gone before." The water was calm, and he was the official tour guide and captain of the kayak. There was a lot of debris floating in the lake from the heavy flooding this past week. We managed to navigate around the logs as we explored this little secluded part of the lake. I'm so grateful that he left his electronics in the car because we both enjoyed listening to the birds and fish making little splashes.


As we paddled, we encountered "Duck Haven," as we nicknamed it. There were four ducks who swam quite close to us. Ducks are about emotional comfort and protection as well as drinking from the waters of life to nurture our emotions, according to Ted Andrews in Animal Speak. How fitting for Pete and I to be so close to the ducks! We chatted and paddled at duck level. It truly calmed us, and we even quacked back at them. We sometimes try to avoid our emotions to keep from getting hurt, but today, we spent time connecting with each other and nature. I am so grateful.


I'm so grateful to have been so close to the water. I could feel the connection, despite the fact that I was not swimming nor immersed in the water. Just sitting in my kayak was peaceful and grounding. The marshy water was a haven for ducks and for me. I was able to paddle, to float, to reflect, and to pray. The true gift is that I was able to share these with my dear son.


Despite the overcast weather, this little section of our journey was vibrant. The contrast of the greens reminded me of the Seneca Canal yesterday. There's something artistic about how the glassy water captures the perfect reflection of the foliage on shore. The vibrant green floating in the water interrupted the perfect mirror image. Somehow that was exactly right today as if there were moments of clarity to be enjoyed.


Again, we were visited by a blue heron as we began our journey back. Again, according to Ted Andrews, we were reminded of the importance of self-determination and self-reliance. As the rain began to fall, I felt lighter, connecting more deeply with the water.

Pete said, "It's raining. Why are you so happy?"

I smiled and sang very badly out of tune. The words were completely made up, but the gist was that I was happy because it was raining and because I was with him in such a sacred place. 



I am grateful for a chance to connect with nature and my son today. What a gift! I am truly blessed that on the anniversary of 9-11, while others focused on honoring the past, my son and I focused on the present. My wish is that today offered great healing for so many still carrying wounds from the past. I am blessed that what we shared on the water was sacred and healing for us. I am happily choosing to live in the now--which is a gift.

Namaste,
L


No comments:

Post a Comment