Monday, August 22, 2011

The Real Me

Open a nesting doll,
to find another one inside
with another waiting within
another layer opened
revealing yet another
eager to be freed
until at last
the final layer
reveals the innermost doll
who is whole,
unable to be broken open.

I am a nesting doll.

My outermost shell
is my olive complexion,
my thick, curly hair,
my twinkling dark eyes,
my somewhat crooked nose,
my extra wide size 9 feet.
You see me clearly.

If you search
just a bit beneath
my outermost shell,
you'll find my next layer,
my ever-changing thoughts
of what ifs that race
like well-greased
never-ending roller coasters
whizzing through the land of thoughts
never stopping, never resting,
it's a race of one,
which can never be won
because the race against the self
is a race against the self.

You spin endlessly with me,
and we whirl through
chaotic changes.
This layer is not smaller.
It is much larger than the first
and harder to move through.

If you listen and observe
me very carefully,
you will bump into yet another
layer of an ever-changing sky.
Happy clouds drifting
across the blue sky.
Angry clouds roll in
to darken the sky
threatening to ruin the day.
Sad tears begin to drip
releasing the hurts,
flowing until they run out.
Frustrated thunder booms
as the jealous lightning bolts
strike the earth,
warnings for others
to proceed with caution.
Calm blue skies open
illuminated by the sun's warm rays.
This emotional layer lives so much bigger
there's no downsizing involved
as fast-paced feelings swap places
the calm replaced by the chaos
the chaos suddenly calms into peace.

You close your eyes and hold your breath,
hoping, praying that the storms pass.
This layer hurts and loves and sucks you in,
and you sigh, this layer so much bigger
than you've encountered so far.

Will you stop afraid
that my emotional whirlwind will pull you in
leaving you breathless and not yourself?
Will I stop here terrified
that something so much bigger
lurks even deeper within?
Will I brave going to my core? Will you?

Breathe--in, out, in, out, in, out,
the gentle rhythm lulling me into a deeper layer
Breathe--in, out, in, out, in, out,
I melt into the sweet sound of silence
Breathe--in, out, in, out, in, out,
my heartspace opening, love's waterfall flowing,
Heartbeat--lub, dub, lub, dub, lub, dub,
my spirit peeks out from behind protective walls,
in, out, lub, dub, in, out, lub, dub, in, out, lub, dub,
my spirit emerges, completely free,
in, lub, out, dub, in, lub, out, dub, in, lub, out, dub,
It is here, deep within that I am.
Only love resides here in harmony.
Love reigns. Love grows. Love illuminates.

You breathe a sigh of relief.
You find yourself meeting me,
seeing me, and you are loved.

I marvel.
My life force, so many times greater than my body,
is somehow contained
in my physical being.
My soul dances, sings, giggles, plays, loves.
I simply am. Love is me.



No comments:

Post a Comment